Hirate Yurina Interview [ViVi September 2020] (Part 2)

Hirate Yurina 18 to 19

Inside Techi - Continued · Hirate Yurina-san is asked various kinds of questions
What is her private life like recently?
You can see the true face of Hirate Yurina,
50 answers to the 50 questions collected from everyone,
The realness of a 19 year old.


Q: Please name three things that you’re afraid of.
Excessive noise, closed spaces and scary adults (laugh)

Q: Do you like summer?
[I’m] normal. There is nothing I like or hate about the seasons.

Q: Do you believe in the existence of ghosts?
I do believe in them.
Although I don’t think I have psychic abilities, yeah I probably don’t,
nor have I ever actually seen a ghost, I can still "feel them" somewhat.

Q: What is your favorite shaved ice syrup flavour?
Wah, I can’t decide! But... in the end, aren't they all the same flavour?
As long as it’s delicious, it doesn’t matter what the taste is! (laugh)


Q: Are you better with the heat or the cold?
I’m not good with either.

Q: What colour yukata do you wear?
Yukata...I don't want to wear any.
Um, I dislike the feeling of being restrained. If possible, I try to not wear them. (laugh)

Q: What moment makes you think "Summer is here"?
I don't feel it myself, but I realize it by looking around me.
When I walk down the street and find that mostly everyone is wearing short sleeves, I will realize "Ah, summer is here". (laughs)

Q: What is your favourite thing at the stalls of temple fairs?
Wah, this is difficult!
Yeah, I can’t choose!!



Q: Which hand washing method do you use?
Liquid soap.

Q: Is your everyday schedule still coordinated during the stay-at-home period?
Because I am someone who often can't fall asleep, my days and nights haven’t turned upside down and neither is my life very organized. Basically, my days have not changed.

Q: Are there any manga or movies that you are into while staying at home?
No. 
(T/N: Lol Techi… I’m curious what she does at home in her free time. Like Risa mentioned before in their joint Nonno feature, isn’t it hard to imagine Techi doing normal, everyday things?)


Q: Has the number of dishes that you’re good at cooking increased while staying home?
Ah, it might indeed be the case.
I cook by myself when I can, but I don’t have a dish that I’m particularly good at.
Basically, what I eat each day depends on my mood that day. Usually, I will cook something that can be found on cooking apps.

Q: What is your most recently purchased product?
It’s "アイボン". (T/N: An eye wash liquid from Kobayashi Pharmaceutical)
No, wait, this must be different from what everyone wants to hear.
But...other than that, I can't think of anything else. (laugh)

Q: What is something that you want to have right now?
Hm, something that I want? I don't seem to want anything in particular.

Q: Have you gained any new knowledge recently?
I remembered [how to use] "ZOOM" during work discussions and chats with friends.

Q: Do you have any material desires recently?
No, I basically don't have any material desires, it’s enough to just have the necessities.



Q: 19 years old is the last of the teenage years. What kind of year do you want to spend?
[I have] no plan. 
In fact, there is nothing special to do in relation to 19-year-olds. I am not used to the feeling of setting goals and looking far ahead. Instead, I treat the things in front of me with the same gaze as usual, which has not changed before and hasn’t changed even now.

Q: Do you have any plans for how you will celebrate your birthday? (Editor's note: The day of the interview was before her birthday)
I don't have ideals such as "it would be nice if it was like this". Having said that, I personally am very bad at receiving birthday wishes.
Although I am really grateful for them, the feeling of "I’m very sorry" will always arise involuntarily.
Also, my birthday, June 25, is the anniversary of the death of Michael Jackson, who I love very much.
So every year, I can’t be happy from the bottom of my heart, and instead I have very complicated feelings.

Q: What kind of wish do you make when you blow out the candles on birthday cakes?
I wish that [my] works that have not yet been revealed to the public can be delivered to everyone as soon as possible.

Q: What is your impression of being 19 years old?
There were no big changes from age 18 to 19.
When I grew up from 17 to 18, there were no special changes in emotion either.
Even if it is the "Last of the teenage years", I just think "Oh really", it feels like it has nothing to do with age.
Whether it’s friends or the people I like, most of the people who make me "Want to be with them" are older than me.
Perhaps the concept of "Adults" can’t be simply defined by age. The people around me are those with very young mentality, in a good way. It is precisely because of such people around me that I can do what makes me happy.
We can share many things emotionally.
I also want to cherish this playfulness and emotional freedom that’s not limited by age.



Q: Where do you feel most at ease at home?
Bathroom.

Q: What is your phone wallpaper?
It's one that came with the system originally.

Q: What do you do when you feel down?
I start feeling more and more down.

Q: Do you turn off all lights when you sleep? Or do you leave a little bit of light?
It changes from day to day.

Q: What is something you must have in your refrigerator?
Carbonated water.

Q: When shopping are you the cautious or impulsive type?
Based on [my] intuition.

Q: What did you dream of last night?
Although I dream every day, I forget everything. However, I’ve never had a pleasant dream.
When I get up, I will sigh "Ah, I had a dream!" and then I wake up. I have a lot of dreams like that.



Q: Please tell us what has made you excited and happy recently.
For Mrs. GREEN APPLE-san’s MV shooting I went to the beach, which I really like going to.
I got excited from shouting at the beach and letting the sea water rise above my knees.

Q: What kind of photos are stored in your phone’s photo album?
Basically, I am not good at taking pictures. To sum up the reason in one sentence, it’s  "Because it’s so troublesome."
Therefore, I normally save the photos others took and sent to me. The photos I received recently were some backstage photos while on set and photos of me in a powered-off state because I ran out of energy after the filming was completely over.

Q: What is your favourite potato chip flavour?
I don't think I eat potato chips.

Q: Dogs or cats?
If I have to choose, it's dogs.

Q: What are you going to have for dinner today?
[I have] no plans.

Q: Disney LAND or SEA?
SEA, the reason is that “There are more exciting attractions”.

Q: Recently, are there any foods that you like?
I ate milt for the first time not long ago.
When I went out to eat with Okada-san and Jun-kun, they ordered fish and ate it deliciously.
I was watching them and got asked "Would you like to try some?" Then I got one...It was really delicious!

Q: What colour would you use to describe yourself now?
Hmm, black? (Looking at her clothes)

Q: When meeting someone for the first time, where do you look?
The floor or table. I’m not good at eye contact.


Q: Which sports are you good at and which are you not good at?
I like to move my body, but because I don't have much physical strength, I'm not good at sports that require endurance. 
For running I prefer short-distance.
Having said that, I’m not that good at running...I can do ball games to some extent, but if asked if I like them or not, I actually don’t.

Q: Are you still growing taller?
When meeting with staff members I haven’t seen for a long time, I’m often asked "Are you taller?", so I’m probably growing (laugh).

Q: Have you tried drinking black coffee recently?
Yes, I tried hard to drink some. But it was so bitter, I never drank it again.

Q: What do you want to eat when tired?
Although I have nothing that I want to eat when I am tired, everyone will try to persuade me to eat.
But when I'm really exhausted, I can't eat anything at all. In the end, I get fed things like energy jellies (laugh).


Q: What kind of similar items did you buy a lot of without realizing?
Almost all my clothes are black.

Q: Where do you like to sit at the movie theatre?
The corner of the last row.

Q: Recently, what words others say about you make you feel happy?
Although there are many...I want to cherish them in my heart.



Q: Do you have a meticulous and careful or a careless character?
Ah, which one am I?
(After asking her manager, I got back the answer that "Her backpack is neatly organized, and she will put back her chair and clean up the trash after a radio program is over. She will make sure to tidy up things. So if there’s a need to choose a character, she should be the meticulous and tidy type.")
Although I haven’t noticed it myself, it seems like this is it. (laugh)

Q: Do you ever feel lonely?
Although I am not sure myself, people around me often say that about me.
But the idea of wanting to see someone or wanting to hear someone’s voice will normally surface.

Q: If you could meet yourself from five years ago, what would you say to her?
5 years ago, it was when I was 14 and first entered Keyakizaka.
If I were to convey words to myself at that time, I want to tell her "You will have all kinds of encounters."

Q: Please tell us how to make Hirate Yurina be in a good mood.
It’s enough to let me stay in my natural state.

Q: Sweet or spicy?
If I have to choose one, "Spicy"! But I also like to eat sweets... I like both!

Q: Is there anything that you want to do now?
Matsumoto Koshirō-san, who I met through an opportunity from a magazine interview, is an important friend of the same generation who stimulates me to move forward. I read [his] interview published by ViVi not long ago. I look forward to having a ViVi photoshoot with the two of us.

Q: Which kanji character would you use to describe the current Hirate Yurina?
"無/Nothing". It means to start over from scratch? It’s fine if you can understand it this way. (laugh)


T/N: Wow I had no idea ViVi released their interviews online after publication! They shared a bunch of pics too, (almost all the pics that were in the actual issue) so I've added them here as well. 

Translated from Chinese
Pictures from ViVi Official

Share: